Community service is an essential component of college and scholarship applications. As you plan your time during your high school years, make sure you incorporate service activities into your schedule.
COMMUNITY SERVICE TIPS:
1. Get involved!
- Find groups through your school, community, and local churches.
- Most school and church groups participate in service activities throughout the year; a great way to contribute to the community and earn scholarship money.
2. Keep records!
- Set aside a few minutes every week to record any activities you have completed that might be scholarship-related, including service.
- Make sure you include the amount of time spent on each activity.
- Snap some photos of your service projects. You will need these later for your Scholarship Portfolio.
3. Service vacations!
- School breaks are a great time to work on service hours; everyone has an extra hour or two on break days.
- Summer breaks provide the opportunity for more extensive projects, like those found through Rotary Clubs.