Everyone remember what tomorrow is? That’s right! It’s October 1st which means…FAFSA!
Starting tomorrow you and your parents can begin filling out the FAFSA for the 2017-2018 school year. Do you have a FSA ID yet? I just wanted to remind every one of the date and give a few tips on what to have and/or expect tomorrow:
- Social Security Card*, alien registration or permanent resident card
- Driver’s license
- 2015 W-2 forms and other records of income
- Your 2015 Federal Income Tax Return
- Your parents’ 2015 Federal Income Tax Return, if you are a dependent student
- Your current bank statements
- Your 2015 untaxed income records
- Your current business & investment mortgage information, business & farm, stock, bond and other investment records
*Entering your Social Security Number correctly is very important!
Also, there have been some questions about using the tax information for the year 2015 versus the information for 2016. The rule is that all applications must be filed with the tax information from 2015. If there is a change between the two years that your parents would like reflected on your FAFSA they must still use 2015 taxes. Once you have been admitted into your school of choice and FAFSA has been submitted to that school you can go through an appeal process with that schools financial aid office!
In short: use the 2015 tax information and then appeal to get the 2016 tax information reflected instead. Forewarning: JUST BECAUSE YOU APPEALED, IT DOESN’T MEAN THE SCHOOL HAS TO GRANT THE CHANGE. All decisions come from the college/university.
I know this is going to be confusing and complicated for some students and/or parents. If that is the case please come see me in the counseling office or call and we can get an appointment set up!