The High School Utah Entrepreneur Challenge
“Utah is known for its entrepreneurial spirit, and we believe some of the best ideas come from teens across the state.”
Who: All High School students (ages 14 – 18) throughout Utah.
What: Over $22,000 of cash and in-kind prizes will be awarded to teens in Utah with great business ideas. The awards include:
- Division A Winner – $5,000 cash
- Division B Winner – $5,000 cash
- People’s Choice Award – $1,000 cash
- Lassonde Studios Housing Scholarship – $10,000 in housing scholarships
- Event Awards – $1,300 cash
Step 1: Students self-organize teams of up to five members. Find other students who share your enthusiasm for innovation and entrepreneurship.
Step 2: Brainstorm on problems, opportunities, ideas, solutions, and customers.
Step 3: Refine your ideas. Create a prototype.
Step 4: Create a presentation that tells the judges about your business idea. Make sure the presentation includes the following four components:
Business Idea Components
- Identify a problem/opportunity
- Think of the times you said: “I wish _________did ______”
- Or the thought: “We should have something to be able to do _____with!”
- Pick a solution to your identified problem/opportunity
- Define the customer
- Who will want to use the product/business?
- Prototype it
- Sketch it, craft it, draw it
- How will it work?
Step 5: Submit your presentation online and on time. The presentation must be received online at lassonde.utah.edu/hsuec by Thursday, March 21, 2016, no later than 11:59 p.m. (for the 2015-16 season). Deadlines are strictly enforced. Presentations must be less than 10MB in size and submitted in PDF format.
The top-16 teams will be announced as finalists and invited to the May 14, 2016, presentation, judging, and awards event (for the 2015-16 season).
For details and FAQ please visit http://lassonde.utah.edu/hsuec/