Gates Millennium Scholars Program 2016
Funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Why GMS? “All of America’s citizens must have access to higher education if our nation is to sustain and advance itself as a global, competitive democracy in the new millennium. The future of our economy and quality of life depend upon the preparation of a diverse cadre of leaders who can help build a stronger society. These potential leaders, especially those drawn from groups that have traditionally and historically been denied access to higher education, require the necessary support and opportunities to earn and complete a college education.” (https://scholarships.gmsp.org/Program/Details/7123dfc6-da55-44b7-a900-0c08ba1ac35c)
Who is Eligible?
- African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian $ Pacific Islander American, or Hispanic American
- A citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the United States
- 3.3 GPA
- Will enroll at a U.S. located, accredited college or university in the fall of 2016
- Demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular or other activities
- Meet the Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria
- Completed and submitted all 3 required forms: student application, an evaluation of the student’s academic record (Nominator Form) and an evaluation of the student’s community service and leadership activities(Recomender Form)
Deadline: January 13, 2016
To apply go to www.gmsp.org. See Mrs. Sanders in the counseling office for more details.