This is a great opportunity for all 9-12th grade students at Tooele High School. Not only is this a great chance to earn scholarship money, but it would be a fantastic experience to include on future applications!
Application Link: http://tinyurl.com/UTSoY2016app
Local area high school students enrolled in private or public schools who are enthusiastic about volunteerism, philanthropy, community outreach, and leadership!
The Student of the Year Campaign is a six-week initiative in which nominated high school students participate in a fundraising competition to benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Utah Chapter. Students are selected as Student of the Year candidates via the LLS selection committee. Selection is based upon an application submitted by each interested student as well as in-person interviews.
Candidates will raise money in honor of a patient hero who is currently battling or is in remission from a blood cancer. The candidate who raises the most money at the end of the six weeks is named Student of the Year and will receive a scholarship to a college or university of their choice. In addition, there are Citizenship Awards for the student candidates who excel in Volunteerism, Community Involvement, and Mission Focus.
Application Deadline — Saturday, October 31, 2015
Candidates Announced — No later than Monday, November 16, 2015
Announcement/Kickoff Party — Week of November 16th
Campaign Launch — Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Grand Finale Gala — Wednesday, March 9, 2016
- To join the fight against cancer and improve the quality of life for patients and their families. Leukemia is the number one cancer killer of children under the age of 20; therefore kids are helping kids battling these devastating cancers.
- To boost the college applications with a leadership and philanthropic adventure.
- Candidates are eligible for scholarship awards.
- The Student of the Year will receive a $2,500 scholarship toward the college or university of his/her choice.
- Each Citizenship Award winner will receive a $500 scholarship toward the college or university of his/her choice.
- Every candidate who reaches the minimum fundraising requirement of $5,000 will receive a letter of recommendation.
- Students rally their communities, schools and families to support their fundraising efforts.
- Along with their own web sites, students will work with LLS staff to set a fundraising goal and to develop an action plan to reach that goal.
- LLS will provide fundraising materials and support throughout the campaign.
- The easiest ways to fundraise are through a letter writing/email campaign, company sponsorship, and social networking.
- Each candidate and their campaign team will brainstorm with LLS to determine a plan for success.
For more information check out http://events.lls.org/pages/UT/2016SOY or see Mrs. Sanders in the counseling office.