5 THINGS PARENTS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COLLEGE
1. Feel Empowered: Use Google and social media to do research and get informed:
- Twitter hashtags–#finaid, #scholarship, #collegeprep, #paying for college, #senioryear, #ACT, #ACTprep, #collegesearch.
- Twitter accounts to follow/websites to check–StepUpUtah, College_Experts, ScholarshipGuru, 4collegeparents, USATodayCollege, UHEAA, Fastweb, BigFuture.
2. Start NOW! It is never to early to start:
- Talking about college.
- Saving for college.
- Planning for college.
3. Look beyond your own backyard. Make sure your student’s college choice is a good fit for them:
- Rural or urban?
- Major offering?
- Campus environment?
- Price tag?
- Distance from home?
- Opportunities for jobs, internships, study abroad?
- These are just a few things to consider when looking at colleges.
4. Talk to your child about college:
- Middle school: talk about dreams, goals, and how college fits into that.
- High school: be honest about your expectations.
- College: expectations regarding time, money, activities, etc.
- Also: Life skills–how to do laundry, cook, manage money, change a tire, clean a bathroom, etc.
5. Deadlines Matter!!